Sunday, August 24, 2008

The American Eagle


This is the Gloucester fishing schooner from 1930 on which Mara and I enjoyed a four-day cruise in the summer of 2005. Earlier this week I wore the shirt bearing a picture of the American Eagle that I had bought at the end of that trip. Within hours she entered Southwest Harbor and cast anchor. Will and I rowed the Aunt Sue out to the ship and asked for captain John Foss, but the mate said he was catching up on sleep as they had sailed through the night from Eastport. She spent that night in the harbor. Here she is getting under way the next morning.

Two days later Will and I were bicycling on the carriage roads of Acadia National Park. At one point I realized I had lost my expensive sunglasses and went looking for them. At the spot where I had been picking blueberries and huckleberries a family with bicycles was standing in the road. I asked whether they had seen sunglasses, but all they said was "We know you." It was the couple from the trip on the American Eagle that had taken the pictures on board of Mara and me featured on this website. Kitt and... how quickly I forget! They had their two children with them, and since 2005 had moved from Maryland to Vermont. Our chance meeting allowed me to tell them about Mara.

1 comment:

Laura G said...

David,
I love the photos. I love the stories. I love sharing the memories. Thank you.
Laura

It's Mara

It's Mara